Monday, June 13, 2011

A promised recipe - N.R.G. Bars!

This is a recipe I have promised several people now. It is not of my making, the original can be found at www.marksdailyapple.com but I have tweaked it for my own purposes and preferences. That is the best part about this recipe is the flexibility. I gave them my own name as well. Because it sounds so much better than Primal Energy Bars. Boring!!

N.R.G. Bars (Naturally Really Good!)

First of all, preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

Ingredients:
1/2 cu slivered/chopped/minced almonds (your preference)
1/2 cu pecans
1/4 cu unsweetened shredded coconut (I found mine at the local co-op)
1/4 cu almond meal (also at the co-op)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla (this can be omitted if using vanilla whey protein powder, unless you really like the vanilla flavor, which I did!)
1 tsp raw honey
1/2 cu vanilla whey protein powder (original called for plain but all I had was vanilla)
2 LG eggs (original called for one but 2 really helps bind it together)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cu dried fruit of your choice (I used a chopped blend that was excellent)
1/4 cu unsweetened shredded coconut (this is for the topping if desired)
1/4 cu almond butter
1/4 cu coconut oil (at the co-op again)

Steps:
1. Toast coconut/nuts until golden brown.
2. Melt coconut oil and almond butter (30+ seconds in microwave) and stir until smooth.
3. Add vanilla, salt, and honey. Mix thoroughly.
4. Fold in nut mixture, almond meal, and whey protein powder until mixed thoroughly.
5. Add eggs and mix well.
6. Fold in dried fruit.
7. Press mixture firmly into 8 x 8 pan, any larger and the bars will be thin and crumbly.
8. Cook at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.
9. Remove from oven if ingredients appear dry and cooked. This cook time can vary depending on your oven so it might take some experimentation to find your perfect cook time here.
10. Cool 10-15 minutes, cut into bars.

OPTIONAL TWISTS: You can also add coconut to the top and broil it until golden brown or for a chocolate spin, add dark chocolate chips to the mix! Experiment to find your favorite.

I don't have pictures because THEY DON'T LAST LONG ENOUGH! Try them, you'll be impressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment