Sunday, December 18, 2011

Moved to Missoula!

Well, we survived the move to the Missoula area at the beginning of this month and have happily settled in our mountain cabin on 20 acres of wooded property. Whitney (my partner in all things fun and criminal) was accepted to the University of Montana for this spring semester. She will be pursuing a B.S. in Sustainable Agriculture.

In the meantime, we now have a new opportunity to own poultry and rabbits again. Eating primal has drastically influenced how I view food and where my food comes from. Whitney and I both have made a commitment to raise as much of our own meat and food as possible (the goal is to meet 100% of our meat needs.) Not only is this as local as you can get it, we directly control and are responsible for the well-being, happiness, and health of our animals which translates into the best damn meat there is.

We made a huge step yesterday and acquired four rabbits for the start of our show, meat, and fur herd. Satin rabbits are near and dear to me not only for their luxurious fur but their gentle personalities. Ramon, Emma, Gayle, and Vanna mak

e an excellent addition to our homestead efforts. Rabbit meat is the leanest and the most protein-dense meat you can readily find but prices make it ridiculous for most people to purchase on a regular basis. But when you have your own backyard herd, you can feasibly get down to $2.20 a lb if you get efficient enough and for organic and happy animals that's a great deal!

I'll leave you with a delicious recipe for biscuits I just tried out from Food Renegade!

Grain Free Biscuits
(I had to modify the recipe because I only had baking soda and no powder.)
  • 1 cup almond flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 T apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
In a mixer (or with a fork) combine the butter and almond flour until you have little broken up, pea-sized bits of butter distributed into the flour. Add the egg whites, salt, baking soda, and vinegar. Mix to combine. Scoop the batter into 4 even portions and place onto a greased or silicone-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes, until slightly golden.


I scrambled the yolks with one additional egg and served the biscuits with the eggs, jack cheese, and a smidgen of sausage.

What I would do next time:
  • Find baking powder -- I think I'll get more lift with baking powder
  • Fry the eggs more densely, too scrambled and they fall off the biscuit
  • Bake on silicone or parchment. Even greased they still stuck to the pan.
Other than that the taste and texture were divine! This recipe is definitely a keeper. Check out Food Renegade for many excellent recipes and dishes.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I know little to nothing about rabbits but i was reading on Rabbit starvation (Protein poisoning) and was wondering if this is an issue or do you supplementing your rabbit with other less protein dense meats to keep this from happening. Just wondering. Im truly wanting to start raising my own meats and its just a question that came up.

    ReplyDelete