Friday, March 9, 2012

Delicious Progress!

Let me tell you something: having a food diary WORKS!

Since keeping records of every tiny little thing I've been eating (yes, I document those four fries I stole from Whitney's lunch) I have lost 10 lbs! I started February 29th and am now at 220 lbs, the lowest I've been since last summer.

This could be due to a number of things:

1) Keeping my carbs under 100 g
2) Started taking DCI, which has triggered weight loss for some women
3) Keeping my fat % at around 55-65%

My appetite has also dropped because I feel satiated longer. I recently added some whey protein (Cyto they sell in CostCo) so that has bolstered my protein intake and keeps me quite full. I've been drinking it in the morning because frankly, I'm a little tired of scrambled eggs.

In any case, I've concocted a delicious recipe after trudging through my fridge in hopes of something new and delightful. I found a bag of Broccoli Slaw that was on its way out -- that "I need to use this now or just throw it away" stage. I had attempted a stirfry with another bag of slaw once upon a time and had been less than impressed so I decided to try and create a primal coleslaw. Not only have I succeeded but it was so delicious it may very well become a summer staple!

Creamy Primal Slaw

1 package Broccoli Slaw
1 TB Dijon mustard (I used Hearty Spicy)
1 TB Apple Cider Vinegar
1 TB Lemon juice
2 drops Stevia -- for those who like true tang you could leave this out
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/4 cup goat cheese
1/4 of a large sweet onion, sliced and diced
4 slices peppered bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 TB mayo (sour cream or yogurt could easily suffice, I just happened to have mayo on hand)
1 medium cucumber, cut however you prefer
1/4 cu sliced almonds

Wisk together mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, stevia, goat cheese, salt, pepper, and mayo until goat cheese has been distributed and the dressing is smooth. You can adjust the stevia for the desired sweetness. Mix in the remaining ingredients until evenly coated. Chill in the fridge or serve immediately.

This recipe can easily be adjusted with different veggies, meats, or cheeses. I can see sliced apple being an excellent addition or subbing out almonds for walnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment